I used to buy granola bars from supermarkets for my snacks,
as I need to travel, sometimes I get really hungry and there's absolutely no time for me to grab a bite.
So these bars help me to regain some energy!
But hey~ nothing is better than homemade ones!
This is my first attempt in making these...
I looked through Alton Brown's recipe,
but did not follow exactly as I wanna use the ingredients that I have.
It's a pretty flexible recipe!
I used these organic multi puffs..
This pack consists of Hulled buckwheat, Sorghum, Brown rice
A really wholesome food~ 100% whole grain~
Eat it like your cereal! Definitely healthier!
Doesn't it look great!?
My batch was not really firm, I will increase the honey and reduce the sugar the next time~
Those bits which became loose can be collected and eaten with milk for breakfast or snacks..
Taste wise, I can't comment now.
I've lost my sense of smell from the irritating flu!
Argh! I can't taste any of my food too~
But still, I'm going to bring some along with me tmr as it's a long day for me~
Homemade Granola Bars
180g Rolled Oats
35g Multi Puffs
100g Whole Almonds
100g Sultanas (soak in water for 10 minutes, drain and cut briefly with scissors)
70g Brown Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence/Extract
A Pinch of Salt
1. Toast rolled oats, multi puffs and almonds in a preheated 180 degrees oven for 15minutes. Stir ocassionally.
2. While toasting, melt butter over low heat. Add brown sugar, honey, vanilla essence/extract and salt. Stir continuously. Remove from heat when sugar has dissolved.
3. When dry mixture is done, remove from oven and pour it into the wet mixture immediately. Add sultanas and stir until combined.
4. Butter a 11" X 5" pan, and pour mixture in. Spread evenly and firmly.
5. Bake in 170 degrees oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Let it cool completely before cutting.
7. Store in an airtight container, and it can be kept up to a week.